Question
Posted by: skinny | 2011/04/19

help

Which supplements can I use to gain muscle quickly?

Hi Skinny

Well, none - there's no such thing as quick muscle gain. Training is the only way, the supplements can support the training, but they don't really change the time needed. If you're deficient, say in overall energy or protein, then your training can be affected and you'll gain weight more slowly than normal, but if the diet is good, then the training determines how quickly you gain weight.

So the key diet points are total energy and total protein, which you need to cover. The danger is that people look to take a protein supplement, and then they end up "over-eating" and any excess energy is stored as fat. So the most common supplement, the protein shakes, often don't help with muscle gain, they help with fat gain, which you probably don't want!

So my advice is to take a look at your diet, first of all, and then to consider supplements only much later! The best person is obviously a dietician, so I'd recommend that, but you can also look at diet with common sense and check that you're eating sensibly (most people have enough to put together a decent diet, maybe missing the essentials, but it's a start).

Then leave the supplements til much later, in my opinion!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/04/26

Hi Skinny

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc