Question
Posted by: Kemi | 2010/09/15

Help

How does one overcome social phobia?

First see a shrink for assessment to get a proper diagnosis, then discuss treatment options. CBT is excellent in this condition, and some meds also used to treat depression can also be helpful

3
Posted by: Liza | 2010/09/16

The best way is to go for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT). I''ve done CBT and it had a huge effect on the intensity of my anxiety. I still get anxious in social situations, but I''ve learnt how to ''think'' myself calmer and where I used to suffer from panic attacks at least 4 times a week, I truly haven''t had a panic attack in months! I do not avoid certain situations anymore either. I can even do my grocery shopping in a busy shop - which I avoided like the plague previously because I got a panic attack every time that I tried.

Good Luck
Liza

PS. If you can''t afford a private therapist, call the Depression and Anxiety group helpline - the number is at the top of the webpage and they will be able to help you.

Reply to Liza

Posted by: dieagain | 2010/09/15

How long is a piece of string?

Reply to dieagain