Question
Posted by: Shane F | 2010-09-07

HELP!!??

Hi Fitness Doc!

I''m sure you get asked this quite often, but here goes again. I''m a 28year old male, 174cm and 80kg. In recent years I have gained about 13kg and surprise surprise, mostly around my mid-section (love handles!)

I try go to gym 4-5 times a week, doing about 45min weight-training + 30min cardio. I''m quite conscious of what I eat (although at times give in to temptation) and find it almost impossible having the recommended 6 meals a day.

I am desperately trying to lose these love handles but so far it just seems to be getting worse! I''m quite happy with the rest of my body although would like to tone some more. At the moment I am so confused as to the right sort of training to do, there is so much information out there and they all contradict each other- this makes me feel more helpless and frustrated!

Please can you give me some advice as to what training I should be doing, how often and for how long, more or less how many calories a day I should be eating etc.? Also, in your opinion what type of supplements are best for me?

Im sorry for asking so many questions but I am nearly at the end of my rope here and would be forever grateful for your professional advice!

Hi Shane

Yes, this is quite common, so you can take consolation in the fact that you're not alone!

I think the simple (yet very complex to do) answer is that we often underestimate how much changes in our lifestyles affect our weight. So at your age, you've slowly moved from maybe being a student, where we tend to be quite active, into a professional world where we don't.

And then we squeeze 30 minutes of training into our days, and it barely makes a dent. That's because those 30 minutes are being compared to say the same exercise, plus some sport, plus walking places, going out, and being far more active in our daily lives! So the implication is that 30 min might not be enough, and if you could get this to 45, then even on some day, 60 to 90 minutes (get some mates together for sport - soccer or touch rugby for example), and you'll see changes.

The weight training to cardio balance that you are currently working off might be too high. In otherwords, swap them over.

As for diet, temptation is OK, but I think we also underestimate what we eat - try keep a diary of exactly what you eat, and how much, and you might be surprised to see that it's more than we think. And if you can cut that, then you'll also see results.

So there's no elegant answer here - just discipline and measurement, and realizing that it's often more difficult than we think!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-09-13

Hi Shane

Reply to fitnessdoc