Posted by: TB | 2010-05-25

wondering if you could help me, my husband has custody of his three children, they are still school going age, he has recently become very ill and is no longer able to work. He had a garnishee order place against his x-wife salary of R300 per child, but now that he is not working and times are really hard, can we apply to have this amount increased. I dont think that the children going to live with her will be an options as she has very little contact with them (thats her choice)

Expert ImageDivorce support expert

I know it is possible to apply to increase the maintenance amount but you will have to file a request for an increase.
You can contact me for a legal referral.

Posted by: G-Dad | 2010-05-27

Yes it is possible for him to apply for an increase of maintenance depending if she can afford to pay more, you do not need an attorney phone the local courts and go see the maintenance officer, they will tell you what is required.

It sound like she currently paying R900 per month which is not a lot, it all depends on her income.

Reply to G-Dad