Question
Posted by: Dee | 2010/05/20

Help

Hi Doc,

I''m in a relationship for 4years now, its been going good. My bf is loving and caring person, he is very talkative, he''s just perfect in his own way, he tells me all the sweet and beautiful things and he loves me so much. We have a 15 month old baby boy whom he adores and love so much.

Now on the other hand i am a very quiet, reserved kind of a person, I do not tell him how I feel, why I love him, I enjoy doing this and that with you, it''s not like I don''t want too, I want but I just cant, In the 22yrs of my life I never shared anything, or expressed myself to anyone just kept everything to myself (just as an example: at school when it was time for oral exercises I would just stand at the front not say anything until my teacher says you can go which I get a zero for that exercise and I didn''t have a problem, I can say I cannot talk in front of other people as well) and it''s just normal to me, thats my life but now its taking a toll on our relationship, where he sees breaking up as a solution which I dont want too, I''d rather get help but I don''t know where to start

He feels like he''s the only one who''s putting more effort into our relationship, which i''m trying but I just can''t...... he wants to give up.

If I seek counselling, which i''m prepared to go that way, which one do I go to or do i do that life courses....Please help

I don't believe in the value of "Life Courses" which usualy contain no valid methods but a load of hype. However, the problems you describe should respond really well to competent counselling from a properly trained professional. CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) would be good to help you gain self-confidence and freedom to express yourself more comfortably, and to reduce the social anxiety that has so far made it unnecessarily had for you to speak in front of other people.

1