Posted by: Dezi | 2009-08-30

I' m 53yrs old want to drastically loose weight around my bum, tum and thighs. I have been on HRT for 6 yrs. Since I was young I was fat through my teens and when pregnant. Since I was 30 I started to loose weight because I was determined. Since menopause and HRT I' m battling. I' m 1.67cm and weigh 78kg. Please help me I dont want to be like this anymore. What supplements can I use? I like to gym. 5 day per week, cycling 45min per day plus 2 days per week a circuit train. I eat low GI. THis is my plan, what do you think? WHat supplements, Phendra cut or CLA what is the best for weight loss? Please give me your advise!!!!!! THanks

Hi Dezi

The HRT makes life difficult, that's for sure. But supplements are not the answer. So the answer is neither - CLA has been shown to have only a tiny effect, and Phedra Cut was banned in the USA because it was implicated in a few deaths in the USA. There's not even evidence that it works. So both CLA and Phedra Cut are both unlikely to have a large effect, and they may not even be safe. So the risk certainly outweighs the reward, and I wouldn't use them.

One thing that you haven't said is whether you have seen a dietician, which I think you need to do. Eating low GI is not an answer, nor is supplement use. The only thing is a good diet and a good exercise plan. I know that probably doesn't sound like a solution, but that's what it takes. At the moment, your exercise is OK, the question is: Are you getting fitter? If not, then you may need to look at the training and make some changes. If yes, then you're on the right track and just need to keep it going.

But the diet is crucial, and I really would suggest that you see a dietician.