Question
Posted by: Trish | 2009-08-24

Help

Hi there, i' m a 23 year woman who has a huge problem and wish doc can give me advise or something. For 2 years now i' m not living with my parents but i work for my father so i see him everyday, but my problem is that when i dont see him everyday i miss him very much(like a schoolkid sleeps over and misses their parents). I am going on holiday for 2 weeks without my parents and i dont know what to do. I know that i wont be able to go that long without seeing by dad. My heart is sore and it feels if i can cry! What is the cause of this and what can i do to stop this? I can only go away for 5 days max then i start to mis my parents. It was exactly the same when i was a child, i could' nt sleep over at my friend' s house or nothing!

Are you perhaps a little immature in terms of social relationships ? DO you have much of a life that you enjoy OUTSIDE of your work with your dad, and your parents in general ? And how are you thinking about this --- what do you imagine would happen if you went for some days without seeing your dad ? He, surely, would be fine. What do you think would happen to you without that contact ?
Then you say something interestin, about being fine for 5 days why should the 6th day somehow be worse and harder to cope with ? And OK, so at some stage you "miss" your parents --- does that have to be absolutely awful ? And why would ou be spending so much time thinking about how you feel you are missing for them, rather than enjoying the things you can do on a holiday you might not be doing at home, and why are you not being busy with pleasan acivities, rather than sitting round thinkin about home ? Do you not have other friends in your life ? Wouldn't it be useful to work towards developing other friendships ?