Posted by: Roxy | 2009-08-18

Please, please tell me were do you begin if you have more than 100kg to lose and unable to join a group like weighless.

Dear Roxy
If you have access to a medical dr then you should discuss the use of Xenical with him/her. If you belong to a medical aid then the dr may be able to motivate that you can receive this medication, which is rather expensive, through your chronic medication plan. If you do not have a dr or medical aid then I would suggest that you contact your nearest teaching hospital (these are usually situated in larger towns or cities like Pretoria, Cape Town, Joburg, etc) and ask if they have an obesity clinic that you can attend. This may entail some waiting, but it would enable you to have access to a dietitian and even in extreme cases to gastric bypass surgery. Of none of these options is available to you then you need to start your own slimming regimen. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise. Start your exercise gradually (e.g. walk for 10 min a day) and then increase how fast and far you walk as you lose weight and get fitter. Once you become fully mobile you can change to other types of exercise such as running, jogging, skipping, cycling, or swimming (municipal pool in summer!). Keep in mind that some of the contestants on last year's SA Biggest Loser TV show lost in excess of 50 kg, so you can also achieve this kind of loss if you are patient and consistent.

Posted by: roxy | 2009-08-19

hi thanks for all the feedback. at the moment i think i' m around 165kg and 1.78m tall. i have a medical aid and have thought that i should maybe go for a check up and speak to my doctor first, but it' s so embarresing. i just want to cry typing this, whats gonna happen when i have to speak to someone. i' ll just have to be strong and face my demons. thanks again!!!

Reply to roxy
Posted by: Martie | 2009-08-18

May I add that LIFELONG physical activity is one of the keys. Walking doesn' t count (except in the beginning when there will be health issues) - when you reach a suitable weight you have to get your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes 5x per week. You have to change your whole lifestyle permanently. It can be done and it can be fun. If you do it right there is a wonderful new world waiting for you.

Reply to Martie
Posted by: Kay | 2009-08-18

If I may ask what is your weight. Before starting my " diet"  i was 120kgs have lost 20kgs so far.

Reply to Kay
Posted by: Belle | 2009-08-18

Go the peer group - weight loss - on here. We a group of ladies who help each other with meal plans, advise, and support.

Reply to Belle