Posted by: Felicia | 2009-06-17

I need help, desperately. I am 38 years of age, and weigh about 115 and is 1.67m. I had a caesarian 3 years ago and can not loose the weight around my stomach and have constantly high blood pressure. A month ago, I ate 2 grapefruits on an empty stomach and 1 in the evening. I felt good and went on for 2 weeks. I did a bit of excercise and it felt that I lost a couple of kilo' s, but after a while I started eating and gain weight. I am not in a support group.

Dear Felicia
Your present BMI = 41,2 which is very, very high. In your case because you would need to lose at least 31 kg just to get back to the obese range with a BMI of 30, and because of your high blood pressure, I would urge you to consult a clinical dietitian. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. You need assistance with your weightloss and some guidance so that you do start losing weight. Another option is to consider a gastric bypass seeing that you need to lose in excess of 30 kg. Contact the Bariatric Centres of Excellence in regard to having a gastric bypass to assist weightloss. You can contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at to discuss this option if you have a great deal of weight to lose.
It does not help to go on brief starvation diets for a week or so and then start eating an unbalanced diet and regain all the weight you have lost. You need to use a low-fat, low-salt, energy-reduce balanced diet that the dietitian will work out for you.
Holding thumbs that you start losing now.