Posted by: JJ | 2009-05-12

HI, I am a single mother of 32 I have the ability to get involve in relationships that I know from day one will not work (like married men or men that are much younger than me or men that I know I can not see myself with over the long term) and as soon as the relationship gets a bit serious I distance myself from this person. On the one side I whant some one to love me to be there for me but on the other hand I can not run fast enough when it looks like it can work. What is wrong with me?

Hi JJ,
Its the obvious question -- why ? Many women realize afterwards that the relationship WAS wrong for any of these reasons, but fewer enter them knowing from the start that they are wrong. Do you have such low self-esteem that you feel you must be in a relationship, any relationship, nomatter how doomed ? Its reasonable to want someone to really love you, but that always needs careful selection of a mate capable of doing that. And why the fear, not of failure, but of success ? Again, does low self-esteem lead you to feel undeserving of a guy with whom it could work ? Counselling, to work on raising that self-esteem, could help solve this problem