Question
Posted by: JAY | 2008/09/01

HELP

My son age 16 is into rugby he need to gain about 5 kg in muscle ,he is at the gym at the moment but does not take any supplements any advise for him to gain that in the next 6 months please ?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Jay

I certainly hope you child is not performing any weight training – before the age of 17 they should definitely not do so as the body is still growing – you will need to see a conditioning coach or biokineticist to help him with a training program – using his own body weight only. Yes and then we can increase his weight by 5 kg – it is all in the eating and not lodged in a supplement!
You need to start by calculating what his daily calorie need for the weight you want him to be – then add calories thereto in line with his training program and daily activity. If I use 80 kg and my own assumptions such person will need about 2400 – 2500 calories per day. If a person wants to loose weight and specifically body fat they will need to consume less calories than what their body needs and in your son’s case who want to build muscle he will need an addition of about 15% extra calories, and be in a positive protein balance, which constitutes about 2 – 2, 5 g protein per kilogram of body weight.

Divide that energy need into six meals per day with the following ratio: 50-60 % carbs, 20-30% protein, and ONLY 20% fat of which most should be good fats (avo, olives, olive oil, safflower oil, nuts and seeds). Split these values into six meals per day – eating about every 3 hours – this keeps the body’s metabolism running.
Regarding supplement – always take a liquid meal = protein & carb combination which is low in fat - this is known as a meal replacement supplement, without stimulants, immediately after a training session. This is where supplements play a role – you cannot depend on a plate of food to digest in time (max 45 min post exercise) to refuel the muscle stores that he has emptied during a training session. One serving per day is sufficient for him and the calories thereof should be calculated into his daily energy requirement.
Good luck and take care.

Vanessa

2
Posted by: JAY | 2008/09/03

Many thanks for the advise will do so

Reply to JAY
Posted by: safe route | 2008/09/03

Hi Jay
First and foremost at his age you need to make sure that the supplements he chooses to use are 100% safe and tested. I would recommend the international brands as most have to meet stict regulations, whereas the local stuff can be risky. Look at the Reflex range of products as they are all medical control council approved. its what im using.
The meal replacement, Progen would be good as this will help him to increse his protein intake, At his age stay way from creatine or testosterone boosters.

The products to use at his age would be:
1) A meal Repalcement over and above his normal meals.
2) L-Glutamine for recovery
3) BCAA' s
4) ZMA

Stay away from the cheap mass builders, they are mostly made up of fillers, soy and maltodextrin, which only adds fat not lean muscle.

Lastely the diet is important, he must eat at least 2g of protein per kg of body weight eg: at 50kg must eat 100g protein. The ratio for cards is about 6g of quality low gi carbs per kg of body mass. 50kg = 300g quality carbs.

Hope this helps

Stay safe

Reply to safe route