Question
Posted by: thomas | 2008/08/08

heliocare

good day

Heliocare contains a ingredient called octocrylene one of the ingredients that you always advise us to avoid as it .Octocrylene when illuminated causes a increase amount of free radicals ( another name is ROS which stands for reactive oxygen species) which induce indirect DNA damage could you please tell me should I stop using it

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Thomas, thank you for getting back to me.

As far as I remember I have advised people to avoid the ingredient Oxybenzone as it is a derivative of benzophenone, which is well known to attack DNA when illuminated. However, the FDA has allowed Oxybenzone to be used in sun screens with a maximum concentration of 3%.
The use of various ingredients as sun screen agents is a contentious issue and is being examined almost on a daily basis through various studies.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviewed the safety of Octocrylene and approved its use as an active ingredient in Over-the-Counter (OTC) sunscreen drug products at concentrations up to 10%. Furthermore, Octocrylene has the ability to convert incident ultraviolet radiation into less damaging infrared radiation (heat).
Both Heliocare and NeoStrata use Octocrylene and both these products have full FDA approval to be used as OTC sunscreens.
To be 100% certain I have emailed the company that manufactures Octocrylene for specific studies in the stability of this ingredient and if an increased free radical production is seen with sun exposure.
I will keep everyone posted as soon as I get a reply.