Question
Posted by: Sara | 2010-05-13

Height/Weight

My 17yr old Daughter is very petite. She weighs 40.5kg and her height is 1.49m. Is this normal? Her younger sister is 1.57m already and weighs 42.5kg. I am also small but not quite so small. I weigh 52kg and am 1.59m. Her Dad is 1.72m. Should we be concerned?

Hi Sara
She is slightly underweight for her length Her BMI is 18.2. Normal is 18.5 to 24.9. If she has a small bone structure - her fingers touch each other if she circles her wrist with the thumb and middle finger, I would not be overly concerned but would watch her diet to ensure that she eats healthy and takes in enough calories. If you think that her sexual development is also delayed (no menstruation, little breast development) she may need to see a gynecologist to check her hormone levels.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-05-13

Hi Sara
dr Bets

Reply to cyberdoc