Posted by: fatima | 2012-11-17

heel pains

hi.I experience pain in my heels every morning when i try to get up.I had plantar faciitis a few years ago and had a steroid injection in one heel.It went away and has returned in both feet.What is teh best advice you can give me?
Also,i experience constant pain on the top of my foot throughout the day especially after standing for a long time.Can this be related to the planta faciitis?Thank You

Expert ImagePodiatrist

Thank you for your e-mail. The heel pain could definately be related to the plantar fasciitis.
The cause of the problem should be detremine ie. shoewear, activity, weight, change in activity and then a holistic treatment protocol be followed that will address your shoewear, short term treatment ie physiotherapy, home treatment and exercises and long term treatment shoewear, biomechanical assessment, heel cushions or orthotics. I would suggest that you should consult with a podiatrist with a special interest in biomecahnics and that follows a holistic approach and works closely with physiotherapists and biokinetisist. Contact PASA or 0861 100 249
As far as the pain on top of your foot goes, it could be due to compensation for the heel pain, shoewear or abnormal biomechanics. the podiatrist will be able to assess it and advise you on the correct treatment.