Question
Posted by: Coreen | 2008/06/30

Heel Pain

I am running half marathons and have been feeling severe pain in my heels. I have no pain while running, but in the mornings when I wake up I can hardly walk. It is sometimes so sore and uncomfortable that I have to sit down for a few minutes.

I want to buy new running shoes to see if that might help, but if there was something wrong with my shoes I should have felt it earlier. I have been running with the shoes for a few months and had no problem at all. I am also use to the running and exercise because I run and cycle and look after my health. I did not change to new shoes, tried other exercise or did anything than what I always did. The pain came as a big surprise.

Hi Coreen

Could be a number of thigns - heel spurs, because of the location of the pain, comes to mind. The pain that occurs on waking but then disappears once you start walking suggests some kind of inflammation, and so it's possible that you have inflamed tendons or ligaments under the foot, perhaps running from the calf. I think that the only thing you can do is make sure of the diagnoses, and that means you need ton consider seeing a physio or a doctor for some advice. once you know the cause, then you can treat it properly, but until then, it's guesswork.