Posted by: I love pleasure ! | 2009-01-28

Hi Doc. Would you say that a person who is constantly looking for excitement, and pleasure , who is restless and once experienced ,is on the lookout again, wanting it all and wanting it now and never satisfied ,is someone with a serious personality defect or are they just adventurous, fun loving normal people who are not particularly bothered about inherent dangers or cost implications or consquences of their pursuit of " happiness" ?

No universal laws apply here. Among the personality variables which are recognized, is one psychologists call "sensation-seeking", which may be similar to some of what you have in mind. IT is not normal and merely "fun-loving" to seekl "fun" without taking inherent dangers, cosys and conequences into account --- that's more like an antisocial personality disorder, which wants fun, now, and to hell with the consequences to themselves or anyone else.

Posted by: Rick | 2009-01-29

Hi " I love pleasure" 

My opinion is that we all love to have pleasure, there are seldom any exceptions. But with hedonism, I believe that the pursuit of pleasure WITHOUT thought of consequences is irresponsible to yourself and possibly you partner as well. Think of unprotected sex in todays age. Very risky. But when you are in the throws of pleasure seeking, do you think of HIV/AIDS? Most probably not.

I think that hedonists through their pursuit of pleasure cannot maintain " normal'  stable relationships, because they are relentless in their pleasure seeking and a relationship will just get too boring too quickly.

I was involved with a person who is similar in nature, if not quite a fully developed hedonist yet. My life was hell, I could never satisfy her with anything and I mean anything, She was constantly looking for the next best thing. Shame, she never realised that it was herself that she was looking for the whole time in these pursuits.

Reply to Rick
Posted by: I love pleasure | 2009-01-28

To " Borning"  Only children get bored. Get a life

Reply to I love pleasure
Posted by: boring | 2009-01-28

Reply to boring