Question
Posted by: horsiechic | 2010-10-14

heavy periods ad cramps

Hi Doc,
Please can you help me - i''ve always had bad cramps with my periods but recently they''ve been a whole lot worse and my periods have got a lot heavier. Before I went on the pill my periods were heavy but the pill did sort it out. I was on triphasil then went onto nordette, triphasil caused weight gain and nordette made the cramps and problems come back

I am on the pill - i take triodene ed and have done for the last year, to start with my period got lighter and the cramping went away, i haven''t gained any weight but my breasts are very tender.
sort of coinciding with the heavier period and worse cramps my dad did pass away - now what i''m wondering is - is it a reaction to this that''s making my cramps and heavy bleeding worse or is it the pill.
If it is the pill what recommendation can you make - is it a good idea to try the injection or should i change pills again???
please help

Dear Horsiechic
There may be a relationship between heavy, painful periods and high stress levels. If you did OK on the Triodene for the last year, don't change your pill now. It may be due to a temporary hormonal imbalance. You can try taking Biral, a homeopathic medication for stress, and an anti-inflammatory like Neurofen for the cramping. If the heavy bleeding persist, you could discuss alternative contraceptives with your gyne, like the Mirena IUD or the progesterone injection.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-10-14

Dear Horsiechic
dr Bets