Posted by: Lin | 2009-02-14

Heavy Menstrual Bleeding

I am 47 &  have been mensruating since age 11. I have had one pregnancy and 1 miscarriage. Pregnancy delivered by caesarian section due to hypertension. However, in the past 15 years my menstrual bleeding has been extremely excessive and I have just about exhausted all avenues to deal with this. Cannot take the pill as I get migraines, tried Mirena but hubby said he could feel it, had Depo injections, and I bloated, eventually had endemetrial ablation last year. After 8 months I started bleeding again with a vengeance. I consulted my gynae who took blood tests. Thyroid activity normal, but result for hormone activity showed I am perimenopausal. Gynae prescribed cyklokapron to slow down the bleeding and Angelique. Have responded well to the Angelique, i.e. moodiness, night sweats etc. However, 3 months later I started with the bleeding again, First 3 weeks was just a brown bloody discharge, followed by heavy menstrual bleeding. (still going). I consulted with my gynae again and I took the cyklokapron again (3 capsules 3 times a day). However, I am so tired of this and I now want to have a hysteroctamy. I know this is a drastic option. My gynae says I should be patient and allow the Angelique to work (results normally after 6 months), but I am so tired of the heavy bleeding - it is depressing, I feel tired, dirty, moody....... I admit I am very impatient. Your advice would be appreciated.

Unless you are bleeding to the point of becoming anaemic, it might be worth pursueing the medication route. Remember that hysterectomies have effects on your whole body which may never go away.