Question
Posted by: JoeSoap | 2010/06/09

Heavy drop on finger?

Hi There

I dropped something really heavy on the last joint of my finger on Sunday, and everyone has told me to go to the doctor, but I really don''t want the additional expense this month, and am not sure if its necessary.

SYMPTOMS:
1.) Finger last joint is swollen to about double the size of the other finger, mainly on top just where the nail growth starts, looks a bit like a bubble
2.) Nail is black (blood), but not broken.
3.) Joint is partially bruised.
4.) Slight pain when knocked
5.) I can bend the finder as per normal now, on Sunday I couldn''t as the swelling was too bad.
6.) I do have feeling.
7.) If I push the tip of my finger it does go white, and then red again.
8.) Pressing the figure doesn''t hurt excessively.

My main concern is the swelling. I thought I''d pull the nail out, but can''t seem to find someone to help :P

Any advise appreciated.

Hallo JoeSoap
Don't pull the nail out. Try to make a hole in the nail to drain the blood - about in the middle of the nail, take a thick needle, put it ligthly on the nail and with a turning motion, try to "bore" a small hole in the nail until you see the blood coming out. This will probably relieve the pressure in the finger. You can take an anti-inflammatory tablet like Neurofen three times a day after meals if you are not allergic to it, and you can use Voltaren jel or something similar on the finger if the skin is not broken.
It sounds as if the circulation is still fine but watch out for blackening of the skin - if it happens you need to see doctor immediately.
dr Bets

2
Posted by: JoeSoap | 2010/06/10

Thanks Dr Bets

Swelling is down by about 90% after the boring.

Appreciate the help.

Reply to JoeSoap
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/06/09

Hallo JoeSoap
dr Bets