Question
Posted by: Confused | 2012-03-22

Heavy bleeding 7 weeks after having given birth

Dear GynaeDoc,

Please can you give me some advice.

7 weeks ago I gave birth to a healthy baby girl - it was natural birth with no pain killers. Immediately after the birth I had a few days of heavy bleeding but it quickly slowed down and I would bleed for a few days and then it would stop for a day or two - this went on for just over 5 weeks - at 6 weeks I belived the bleeding had stopped and met with my midwife for my 6 week checkup - during the appointment she asked if I was still bleeding and I said no - she did a papsmear - the results came back ok with no abnormalities - on that same Wednesaday afternoon I started bleeding again really heavily - it is now 9 days later and I am still bleeding very heavily - I am afraid to use tampons because I am not sure if it is menstrual blood or if I am still bleeding from the birth - I use 4 pads a day and 4 at night.

Usually when I get my period I have light spotting on day 1 then day 2 and 3 very heavy flow day 4 nothing day 5 light spotting and on occassion light spotting on the 6th day - never have I bled this heavily before or for this long.

I am a single parent and am not earning a salary while on maternity leave - my UIF for February and March have not yet been paid so I am unable to make an appointment to see my gynae.

I just need to know - could I be getting my period already even though I am breast feeding.

It could be a period but you really need to see a health practitioner to check that there is nothing else going on.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2012-03-26