Posted by: Concerned 26 year old | 2011-09-23

Heavy and prolonged menstruation

I have had my period for the last 78 days (non-stop bleeding) and need to replace my sanitary pad every 3-4 hours, though some days are lighter than others.

It started 3 months after I inserted the Mirena loop. The loop came lose and had to be reinserted. After 2 months of bleeding, my gynae put my on oestragen 0.65 to try relieve the bleeding. A month after that, I removed the mirena and started on Yasmin. For the last four days, I have been on Yasmine, but the bleeding persists, and gets heavier by the day.

My gynae found " functional cysts"  and says I shouldn''t worry as the pap smear I had in March 2011 was clear. She hasn''t run any other tests as she says I am too young to worry about cervical cancer and the cysts she can see are normal.

My right ovary doesn''t work anymore, and the left one is getting lazier year on year. Though my gynae assures me that it is natural and will stabilise eventually.

I see the gynae every 3 weeks at this stage, with no relief. Is there anything I should be insisting on checking for? Should I consult a different kind of doctor? What could be causing this?

Dysfunctional uterine bleeding is nutoriously difficult to treat and I suggest that you stay patient. Ask your gynaecologist to draw blood to determine if you are suffering from anemia, due to the chronic blood loss and to test for diabetes and hypothyroidism.

Posted by: @ concerned 26 year old | 2011-09-26

Yes, please follow Dr Anrich''s advice concerning blood test for anaemia. I suffered with similar problem to yours for more than 10 years and became severely anaemic, which besides exhaustion also caused other medical problems to arise.

Reply to @ concerned 26 year old