Question
Posted by: Chantel Cooper | 2011/11/01

Heathy Expensive Vs Cheap Process Food

How do we encourage healthy eating when processed good is cheaper and keeps children''s tummies full longer?

Dear Chantel
Healthy foods need not be expensive, provided one is prepared to do quite a bit of home cooking. Buying fruits and vegetables in season is usually a good investment. Using unsifted, unprocessed grains and cereals and making porridges instead of buying vastly expensive ready-to-eat breakfast cereals can save a lot of money. Including self-prepared and cooked legumes (dry beans, peas, lentils and soya) to 'stretch' expensive protein foods such as meat, fish and cheese not only reduces the budget but also your fat and cholesterol intake. It is also a good idea to have at least one main meal a week which does not feature meat or fish. However, if you are a working Mom with a tight schedule then it is difficult to prepare all these foods at home. It may help to set aside one or two days a month for cooking such foods and then freeze them for those times when you are rushed off your feet. As regards healthy lunch boxes for the children, you can contact the Nutrition Department, SA Sugar Association, P O Box 700, Mount Edgecombe, 4300, or phone: (031) 508-7000, or send an e-mail to: nutrition@sasa.org.za and ask them to send you the leaflet on ‘Healthy Eating for Children’.
I hope some of these suggestions will help a bit.

3
Posted by: Lee | 2011/11/02

And only one of these meals will involve cooking which we do together and make it fun instead of getting miserable in queue waiting for fast (fat) food.

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Lee | 2011/11/02

For the R200 + I will spend on take-aways for one meal for my family of 4 I can buy Swiss muesli (R25 and it will last the week), fruit (paw-paw, banana - R20) peanut butter (R17 - will last the week) and yogurt (R16) for a smoothie or fruit salad, smoked chicken (R20), lettuce, tomoatoes, cucumber ((R30), cottage cheese (R15),4 rye rolls (R8), lentils (R8) and turkey or ostrich mince (R25). And that will feed us for three meals.
We''ll go fo a walk on the beach or the mountains and buy juice ice lollies with the change instead of ice-cream.
And we dont have to spend anything on diet pills from eating processed food.

Reply to Lee

Dear Chantel