Posted by: Hot Dog | 2009-03-05

heat wave

Hi Cybervet and team
With this terrible heatwave in CT - 40+ degrees in Stellenbosch, please advise how best to keep our pets cool. The cats have access to the house so I' m not too worried about them. But my 1 year old GD pup is a concern. She has a extra large kennel, under a tree, in the shade most of the day. 3 water bowls throughout the garden so that there is always one in the shade. Aslo one of those mats that you soak in water and keeps cool for 24 hours. What else can I do?

Dear Hot Dog

If you have a timer on your garden sprayers you can put this on for them a few tims a day or a toddler inflatable pool?

Posted by: WR | 2009-03-06

A big concrete birdbath on the ground will also work..... well mine enjoy it.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Hot Dog | 2009-03-06

Thanks all. Chill you are soooo right - the pool was a great chew toy - heck even the hosepipe makes a great toy, just thinking I" ll get her one of the hard plastic pools, shaped like shell. Hopefully it will last longer than 5 mins. Thanks again.

Reply to Hot Dog
Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-05

The sprinkler is a good idea - if you decide to go for the pool, get half a dozen - a pup would find it a jolly good chew toy....

This is a good reminder, though: people shouldn' t take their dogs jogging or hiking in extremely hot weather, because dogs can get heatstroke which can prove fatal in quite a remarkably short time. If a dog seems in distress, ie panting very very heavily, disorientated, or even having fits, it' s imperative to cool them down as fast as poss, and wetting them thoroughly is the best way to do this. Then rush straight to the vet - if not caught in time, it' s an emergency.

Remember also that a heavily panting dog CANNOT drink - people think that if they ' refuse'  water, they aren' t thirsty. This is not correct. The dog must be given a chance to catch its breath, and then be offered water. This may take up to 15 or 20 minutes, so don' t be in too much of a rush!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-03-05

Here in KZN with our terrible humidity I keep my boxers inside ...

I think you are doing as much as you can tho.

Reply to Carol