Question
Posted by: Amy | 2011/10/31

Heat cycle

My labrodor female is in her second heat cycle. She''s 15 months old. My husband really insists that we let her have puppies once before we have her sterilized. When during the heat cycle should I have her with the mate? She is still bleeding bright red - should I wait untill it is pinkish?
Thanx!

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Amy, unless you are a professional breeder I really would not suggest letting her mate. The first thing is that a professional breeder will not mate a bitch until she is 3yrs old and the temperment, genetics etc have all been confirmed ok. Mating at 15months is a bit like a 14 year old giving birth and caring for a baby! Also, you will need regular veterinary care for her throughout her pregnancy, and given her age may need vet help at the birth - an expensive affair.
Having a dog sterilized is good, responsible dog ownership and you will help her by reducing a variety of health related problems, plus, a sterilized dog is more likely to bond with her family as the preoccupation of reproduction is taken away.\
Please do investigate this further and discuss with your vet and breeders before making a decision. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/10/31

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert