Posted by: Jane Kemp | 2011-11-01

I am a roadrunner max distance 21.1km, and run with a Polar Heartratemonitor and watch and have tested it on a Garmin as well. My Resting heartrate is 52, on trainingruns 4x a week my heartrate average 158-164 with max of 178-184. On races max rate is 195 and average 180-185. My heartrate goes down to 100 in 6minutes. My general practisioner just on general questioning him about this say that I can overwork my heart making the heartmuscle to thick that could lead to blood not running through. Can this be the case or can I exercise as usual without worrying?

Maximum heart rate is calculated by deducting your age from 220. Reaching your maximum heart rate will not be a problem and it sounds like if you are a very fit person. If you are concerned, you can consult a cardiologist for an examination and echo cardiogram to evaluate your heart rate.

Posted by: Zexeon | 2011-11-02

I have the same monitor and my resting heart rate is 53 but I only jog less than 5km so my Max heart rate is approximately between 140-150. But if when I did Tae -Bo a while ago and pushes myself then it could also go high but not that high although my sister''s might when she does cycling to keep up with her husband. Fortunately for me my husband keeps up with my pace for now as long as we don''t get in a fight so rather I must limit our conversation els I''m also going to push myself to keep up ...

Reply to Zexeon