Posted by: a | 2009-01-21

Heartburn while exercising

I' m 24, female and not very fit, but have recently taken up jogging and skipping to lose some weight (I' m 5' 3"  and have dropped from 58kg to 52kg, but still want to lose 4kg). The last few months have gone well, but in the last three weeks or so I' ve started getting heartburn while exercising, to the point that I have to stop or walk the rest of the way. What could be causing it and what do you suggest to solve it? I do have a history of peptic ulcers, but they haven' t bothered me lately. And, while I' m trying to resolve it, could walking twice the distance of what I usually jog be an equivalent workout?

Hi a

Is there any chance it's caused by a change in diet or even in the timing of your food intake? Perhaps you're exercising sooner after eating than before? Or possibly later? Either could contribute to this problem, so you might need to play detective and figure out if one of those is an option.

As for the breaking down, that's one way to manage the training in the meantime, while this is still a problem. Obviously, you want to sort out the cause and not just avoid it, so you might want to see someon and see if they possible ulcer issue is a consideration here. But you can walk for roughly the same amount of time, but really try to sort out the cause.