Question
Posted by: SS | 2010/11/11

Heartburn - Nexiam

I was told by specialist that if i used Nexiam 40 continuously over say a 3 month period, my heartburn problems would disappear. I did that but it continued after that. Last yr i had my gall bladder removed at Wits hospital. Living normally w/o it, but heartburn persists despite taking Nexiam 40. Now I take a nexiam every alternate day to cut costs. Is there a generic ??

Hallo SS
There is no generic for Nexiam but you can use another brand of acid suppressant like Omeprazole/Lansoprazole (1/3 the price of Nexiam)Ask your doctor to change your prescription. Some patients need to take these medications long term due to hiatus hernia and acid reflux.
See http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/hiatus_hernia.html

3
Posted by: Adele | 2010/11/12

Hi, I changed to Altosec 20mg which is +- R170.00 on medical aid. They do not come in 40mg like Nexiam but it is much cheeper. I use it for my acid reflux due to a haitus hernia.

To me it works the same as Nexiam. Hope this will help.

God bless

Reply to Adele
Posted by: Adele | 2010/11/12

God bless

Reply to Adele
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/11/11

Hallo SS