Question
Posted by: Sam | 2009-09-17

Heartburn in the mornings

Good day doctor
Why is it that I get terrible heartburn immediately after having my cereal.
I am 35, have my 2 weetbixes with extra bran with half milk, half hot water just before 8 in the morning.
Immediately after having it, I start burping, get this burning sensation in my chest and it can go on for more that an hour?
If I have boiled eggs for breakfast, it hardly happens.

Dear Sam
If you suffer from gastric reflux (which seems possible) then you will react more to certain foods than to others. This is usually an individual reaction - one patient will develop heartburn after white bread, the other after brown bread. I trust that you are receiving the correct medical treatment for your heartburn? Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page to access the 'Diet section of the Health24 site' and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read article 195 on 'GASTRO-OESOPHAGEAL REFLUX DISEASE (GORD) & DIET'. In general here are some pointers regarding excess acid production: Heartburn, acid reflux and also stomach ulcers, are caused by excess acid production in the stomach and if the patient has food in the stomach this give the acid something it can work on instead of attacking the stomach lining. In fact, the use of 6 smaller meals a day is a good idea when suffering from heartburn or ulcers because this would mean that the patient practically always has some food in his stomach to prevent acid erosion. Try to should split up your main meals into 2 smaller meals each. One of the most important factors in excess acid production and heartburn is stress. If you suffer from heartburn, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, very fatty foods, etc and all alcohol). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is too difficult, then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will help you pinpoint trigger foods and work out a diet that avoids them. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.