Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-18

Heartburn (I think) out of nowhere.

Hi Doc,

I' m 27 yrs old, 1.54m tall and weigh 55kg. I woke up at 2 this morning with a really bad pain in my chest. It felt as if someone was squeezing my heart, and I thought I was having a heart attack. I couldn' t lie on my side as it made the pain worse.

It kept me awake until I got up for work. I didn' t eat anything becasue I was nauseous. When I had a sip of coffee, the nausea got worse and I threw up.

I still had the ' heart pain'  , maybe heartburn, and ' tension'  up my throat after I threw up.

I' ve just had a sandwich and some bicarb mixed with water. The heat pain is still there, but not as bad as this morning.

I' ve never had heartburn before, and don' t eat spicey food. I ate at 6 last night, and had nothing after that.

Is it heartburn, or could it be something else?

Dear Anon
Although you are young to have heart problems, one cannot exclude this and every now and then we hear of someone under thirty that had a heart attack. More likely it could also be due to esophagus spasm or acid that burnt the esophagus but you need at least an ECG and examination by a GP to exclude serious problems like a heart condition.

Posted by: H | 2008-11-18

It doesnot sound like heartburn to me. You might had a heart attach. Heartburn is in your throat not your chest.
Send this question to the " HeartDoc"  on left of this page.

Reply to H