Question
Posted by: Smith | 2009/09/17

Heartburn

I have had heartburn for about 5 days now. I have tried using Gaviscon to relieve it. It helps to an degree and then the heartburn starts again.It also feels as if there is something stuck in my throat after I have eaten. The Gavscon does not help with this. I have chest pain and an ECG showed no problem withmy heart. Please advise.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Smith

Your heartburn needs to be diagnosed and treated correctly. Ask your GP to refer you to a gastro-enterologist, as you may require a gastroscopy. If heartburn is indeed your problem this could indeed explain the feeling of something stuck in the throat. If no cause is found in the stomach, you would need referral to an ENT for a laryngoscopy.(examination of the throat and voice box)

2
Posted by: ENT Expert | 2009/10/14

Dear Smith

Reply to ENT Expert
Posted by: Chants | 2009/10/06

I had similar symptoms for years...it sounds like you might have GORD, gastrosophical reflux disease. Too much acid in the body - if you follow an alkaline diet, it should help. Otherwise, if you can get your doc to prescibe Nexiam - brilliant tablets, but expensive. I have had an op as i was missing the valve at the top of my stomach. It helped for years, but i suffer still of incredible heartburn, but find that an alkaline diet definately helps.

I might be incorrect, but research that possibility!

Reply to Chants