Posted by: Panda | 2009-05-05

I have a condition called Achalasia and last year I had a Heller Myotomy performed on the oessaphagus. What can I eat to prevent the heartburn which the doctor said I would get but gave me no dietary plan to follow. I have cut my portion size but do not know what to cook. At this stage meat seems to be a problem. Can you suggest a diet for me to follow that will not bring on this terrible heartburn.

Dear Panda
I am really amazed that you were not referred to a clinical dietitian after your operation. Please consult a clinical dietitian ASAP (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she/he can help you work out which foods you can, and which ones you cannot eat while still having a well balanced diet that provides you with all the nutrients you require for good health.
Holding thumbs that your heartburn will from now on be well controlled.