Posted by: Ticker | 2012-05-03

Heart screening

Good day,

With the recent spate of sport''s people dying of heart attacks at a young age I was wondering what the best course of action would be to have some kind of heart screening for underlying defects etc. I''m not hugely athletic or anything, but I''m fairly active in general and run about 10km approximately 3 times a week. I just worry when I hear about things like that and have also known young people from when i was at school who passed away in similar circumstances.

I''m a 28 healthy, normal weight female - recent cholesterol/sugar etc screenings are all normal and I was very sporty adn active in my school years. About a year ago I went to the doctor for a cold or something and he picked up a mild heart murmur which was new (I was very unfit at the time), but i''ve been to the doctor since and they haven''t mentioned anything. What could I potentially do to find out if I am at any risk in this regard?

You certainly have a very low risk profile for a heart attack. You can however, consult a cardiologist for an examination and an echo cardiogram, to evaluate your heart function and heart structure.