Question
Posted by: James Botha | 2012/09/24

Heart Rate when Training

I am 50 years old (male,unfit, over-weight (135kg), 1.78m tall) - and joined Virgin Active recently. My heart Rate increases to 144 when I run on the Treadmill during the last 3 min of a 20min cycle as I increase speed for this period (normally walk briskly - @ 128 heart rate). Is this dangerous and should I reduce the intensity?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear James

A heart rate of 144 while running on the treadmill is not excessive and is still significantly below your theoretical maximum heart rate for your age. If your heart is healthy, then a heart rate of 144 at age 50 is perfectly acceptable. You won’t damage a healthy heart by exercising at that heart rate. As a general rule it is only people with heart disease who may need to limit their exercise heart rates
Kind regards and best wishes, JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012/09/27

Dear James

Kind regards and best wishes, JT

Reply to Cardiologist