Question
Posted by: Joan | 2010/05/07

Heart rate when running-seems high!

HI Doc
I went running yesterday and had an awesome run! But i noticed that according to my HRM my heart rate was quite high a lot of the time, at about 177 for quite a while.. and since i''m almost 30 that makes me maximum HR 190... so am i training at too high an intensity or will it come down the fitter i get?
I was out of breath for the first 5 mins, but after that i was fine, and i had a lovely time, but was jsut wondering.

Also, what impact does this have on fat loss? Is it better to train at such a high intensity for a long time or to keep it a bit lower for longer (say 160)?

Thanks so much, have a good weekend!

Hi Joan

Is that the first time you've run with a heart rate monitor? The reaosn I ask is that you can only really find value in heart rate if you compare it to your own previous values. In other words, having a HR of 177 is pretty meaningless, because we're all different, and so you can't compare that way. You can look yourself though, and if it is higher than normal, then that is a sign that you're pushing hard, or getting sick, or overtraining. And if it comes down, then it's a sign you're getting fitter.

So keep a record and compare only to your past numbers.

As for fat loss, the more important variable is the time spent training. The longer the better, within reason of course, else you overdo it. But the intensity doesn't really affect it too much.

Good luck!
Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/05/15

Hi Joan

Good luck!
Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc