Question
Posted by: IchabodChrane | 2009-07-02

Heart rate training

I am a 45 yr old male, is it normal for my heart rate to get up to about 160bpm after around 3 mins on a treadmill at 6mins per km pace, 1% gradient? I' m neither fit nor unfit, gym sporadically, no drinking, smoking or any medication.

I don't know. What happens to it after that? It's not necessarily bad. A lot of people just have naturally high heart rates and they can easily train at 180 without any problem. In others, it's impossible to get the HR up, they have naturally low values.

So I don't know. The only way you'd know for sure is to have a stress ECG and test it properly. But if you're feeling OK, no breathing problems, and the HR stays constant thereafter, there's probably no problem. Always best to know for sure, though, and have it assessed fully.

2
Posted by: Ichabodchrane | 2009-07-15

Thanks for the information! After it gets up to between 160-165, at that work rate, it stays fairly constant. When I alternate with walking at around 6km/hr, it drops to around 125 fairly quickly (around 60-80 seconds), which is when I resume running.
Excellent advice, thanks again.

Reply to Ichabodchrane
Posted by: CT | 2009-07-02

Anything about 175 at your age is BAD, thats about all I know.

You can 220 less you age and thats your maximum you should allow your heart beat to raise too

Reply to CT