Question
Posted by: Squash | 2010/05/13

Heart rate too high?

Hi there,

I am a 34 year old male.

I started playing squash two months ago. I haven''t been playing for a long time. I have lost 14 kg''s since December and now way 106. Most of this was lost before I started playing squash.

I am having loads of fun and play three times a week. My heart rate averages at 90% of 220 - 34 (my age). This is according to my polar watch.

My max heart rate is 197, which is 11 higher than the theoretical 186. Should I be concerned about it?

No, I wouldn't worry too much. Heart rate is a very individual thing. There's not much use in comparing one person to another. The only value is in comparing your values today to those of last week or two weeks ago. So keep a record of what your HR is and then see how it changes over time, then you'll be getting real valuable information out of it.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/05/15

Reply to fitnessdoc