Question
Posted by: Bernie | 2013-02-12

HEART RATE :&  RUNNING

I really want to train to run a 5km in a month''s time. However, after just running for a minute on the treadmill, the machine throws up a " high heart rate"  warning. Running at 7km/hr on an incline of 2. question, if my legs still feel ok, can I run through this warning or must I slow down till my heart rate settles and then increase it again. At this rate, i will take an hour to finish 5km :-( Urgent advice needed please

Expert ImageBiokinetics expert

Hi Bernie,

Let's hope that there's nothing wrong technically with the treadmill :)
Secondly, training for 5km run should be atleast 6 weeks before the race.

To confirm if your heart rate is an issue, I agree with the previous reply regarding the Karvonen method: 220 - your age, in determining your maximum heart rate, therefore you should not exceed this maximum heart rate.

Remember to pace yourself with speed, incline and time. Increase a 1km run every week.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Habib

1
Posted by: Raffie | 2013-02-14

Bernie,
As you get fitter your heart rate will drop. According to exercise books it takes 12 weeks to train for 10 km, so do not try and push to fast as this might result in injuries. Heart rate is 220-age is maximum heart rate.

Reply to Raffie