Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2012-10-17

Heart rate

I am a 28 year female with a BMI of 33 I am trying to loose weight started walking on the treadmill at 4km.an hour my heart rate reaches 192-200 beats within the first 5 minutes and this is worrying me is this normal? I walk 2 km between 20-30 minutes
Please advice

Dear Sarah
Although physical exercise is very beneficial esp if you want to lose weight, the fact that your heart rate increases up to 200 beats per minute is cause for concern. Please stop doing any exercise until you have had a medical checkup. Tell the doctor that your heart rate shoots up like this and ask him/her what kind of exercise you can do to start off with. This is why it is so essential that anyone who decides to start an exercise programme should firstly have a medical just to make sure that he/she does not have an underlying medical problems such as high blood pressure or irregular heart beats, or insulin problems, etc. If your examination shows that you do not suffer from any underlying illness such as hypertension or heart disease, then please confirm with the dr if you may return to your walking and at what pace you should walk. Only increase how fast and long you walk if you have lost some weight and have become more mobile.
Take care

2
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-10-18

Dear Sarah
Take care

Posted by: raffie | 2012-10-17

Maximum heart rate is 220 minus your age of 28 is192. Be patient and rather start slow and as fitness increases you can either try to go faster or increase distance by say 1 kilometer.

Reply to raffie