Question
Posted by: Jay | 2012-10-04

Heart rate

HI
I have spoken to you before regarding afatigue problem which I overcame and completed my 17th comrades this year.Is training twice a day okay as I have trained like this before.Gym for 1 hour in the morning and 10 kms at lunch time for maybe 4 or 5 times a week and a long run on Saturday and rest on Sunday.I now use a heart rate monitor and is it ok when I run hard uphill for my heart rate to go 180.I am 52 years old.

Jay

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Jay

Well done for completing your 17th Comrades. It is perfectly acceptable if you run hard up hill for your heart rate to reach 180, although this is a slightly higher maximum heart rate than most men your age. If you don’t have underlying heart disease, then there should be no problem with a high rate during strenuous exercise.

Training twice a day may be good for some professional athletes, but it sounds to me like you may be over training. Perhaps this was the cause of your original chronic fatigue problem? Your body needs time for rest and recovery as well as for strenuous and prolonged exertion. Best wishes for your 18th Comrades next year!

Kind regards and best wishes, JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012-10-10

Dear Jay

Kind regards and best wishes, JT

Reply to Cardiologist