Posted by: lizha | 2012-05-20

heart rate

i joined the gym 2 weeks ago. when i started they took my heart rate and it was 83 before my workout. now 10 classes later i took my heart rate again before my workout and it was 95. why is my heart rate going up instead of down??

Hi LIzha

It's nothing to worry about, those kinds of changes are totally meaningless. For example, you might have been a little flustered by traffic on the way to the gym, or maybe you changed in a hurry, ran up the stairs, anything like that can lift the heart rate. And when you're talking change in that range, it's not significant. If you observe, you'll soon see how much variation there is in heart rate from one moment to another.

The only true test is to do the same exercise bout, and at the same intensity, in the same session, at the same time of day, measure the heart rate during exercise. Then it should be lower. But if you don't control the exercise intensity exactly, then heart rate can be very misleading. So don't over-interpret the heart rate too much, it's really just a guide, but you need to control as much as you can in order for it to have any meaning!