Question
Posted by: Lizzy | 2011-12-02

Heart rate

I am a 35 year old female. My bloodpressure is around 114 over 74, and my heart rate is 52 bpm. I am not fit at all.
Is my heart rate too low? I feel fine and healthy.

Thank you so much.

Lizzy

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Lizzie. A normal heart rate is anything from about 50 to 90 per minute, so a resting heart rate of 52 per minute is perfectly normal. I am sure you will find that with exercise it increases normally and probably with strenuous exercise will reach high levels. There is some evidence that people with lower heart rates tend to live longer than those with high heart rates, so a relatively low rate is something to be pleased about, not worried!

Best wishes. JT.

3
Posted by: Elizabeth | 2011-12-26

My husband is almost 81 years of age. About two and a half years ago he started with dementia which the doctor said was caused by his heart condition. (He had atrial fibrillation and had TIAs). She put him on Risperdal which helped in making him more manageable as he was very difficult. Then he developed congestive cardiac arrest and he is now on Captopril and Lanoxin and Ecotrin and Flurosimide. He is very frail and walks with difficulty. I do everything for him in the line of toilet, showering, dressing, feeding. I am 75 years old and have no health problems. Doctors always tell me my BP is " perfect" . Do you think that I will be able to continue caring for him or must I be prepared for a stage where he will have to go into frail care? I don''t want this to happen but I also want to be realistic and I want to be prepared to handle whatever comes along. What would you say the prognosis is?

Reply to Elizabeth
Posted by: John | 2011-12-15

I am a type 2 diabete. Is ithroug that cinnamon can vring your sugar levels down and that it stimulates the production og insulin

Reply to John
Posted by: Lizzy | 2011-12-02

Hi Doctor.

I''m sorry, maybe I should provide you with more details about myself.

I don''t smoke or drink alcohol. I try to eat healthy foods most of the time. I am a bit overweight though. My father passed away of a heart attack at the age of 67.

Thank you.
Lizzy

Reply to Lizzy