Posted by: Cathy | 2011-03-24

Heart rate

I am 53, train for 30 min. 2-3 times weekly on treadmill. A few times my heart rate went up to over 200 after only 10-15 minutes, while walking 4,5 - 5 km per hour. The last time it went up after 17 minutes to 234, so I got off the machine immediately. Is this normal?

Hi Cathy

That number of 234 is often a sign of electrical interference. I don't know why, maybe an engineer could tell us, but my experience with the HRM is that if I ran near a power line or a station, the value was either 234 or 222.

It's probably not anything to worry about, but it still could be. If you feel any shortness of breath, chest pains, any kind of symptom that you're not familiar with, then it's a definite flag that you should pay attention to. Then I'd see someone. But pay attention that value, if it jumps suddenly and then drops down to say 150, 160, then no problem.

If it stays up, or if it goes through the number (eg 150 to 160 to 170 to 180 to 200 to 210) then it's different and less likely an electrical problem.

Posted by: Andy | 2011-03-29

I am no doctor, but a heart rate of 234 for a 53 year old person is certainly not normal. I am 45 and when my heart rate gets to 175 (during hard exercise), I am panting like a dog and my heart feels as if it wants to jump out of my rib cage. (Incidently my max heart rate is around 183, your should be lower than that, given your age.) I really dont'' want to feel my heart go at 234..... How do you feel when that happens? Can you feel your heart " running away" . If not, there might be something wrong with your heart rate monitor. If you do feel that your heart is running away, go see a doctor immediately

Reply to Andy