Posted by: Craig | 2010-11-26

Heart Rate

I have started training at the gym about three weeks ago. I am 32 years old and weigh 96kgs. Durring Cardio my heart rate often reaches 180. I want to make sure that I am not putting myself at risk by excercising at this level? My fitness level is obviously very low and I am trying to improve my fitness and lose weight.

Hi Craig.

No, 180 is OK, I've tested elite athletes in lab trials and they often reach 200 and stay there for a long time and there's no problem. Only when you experience chest pain, or in people who've had cardiac problems, is it important to control the heart rate and keep it down. Obviously, you don't want your heart rate to be 180 or higher when you're just sitting on the bike warming up, for example, but our hearts are quite happy to reach this heart rate when they need to.

So keep an eye on it, but don't worry unless you feel chest pain, or shortness of breath, or if it suddenly spikes up to 200 without reason. But if you're training at a decent intensity, feeling like you're working hard, but you're in control, then 180 is not a problem.

Posted by: PVS | 2010-11-30

A good way to work what your Max heart rate can be ( normal people and not athletes) is to go with 220 - your age
So that would be 220 - 32 = 188 bpm thus your max heart rate can be 188bpm. But you can push it a little bit if you do not have any heart conditions. So anything below 190bpm for you should be fine.

Reply to PVS