Posted by: Liza | 2009-08-25

Heart Rate

I' m 34 years old, female and do cardio and weight training. My resting heart rate varies from 68 - 70. Why is that my heart rate increases so quickly to 182 and my husband' s (38 years old) when he jogs (at 10 km/h) is in the range of 150. Today I did a minute on 7, then a minute on 8 up to 10. If I want to bring my heartrate down I usually must walk for about 2 minutes on 6,5 and drink water.

HI Liza

People are different, and so that's a big part of the reason why a heart rate would differ from one person to the next. You must have a very high heart rate, maybe your husband's is very low, and the comparison is so obvious.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's obviously important to keep measuring, because what you'll find is that as you get fitter, you will notice a fall in the heart rate at the same speed. For example, if you walk at 7 and your heart rate is 175, then hopefully in a month, it'll be 170. That's a sign you're getting fitter.

But it's best to compare your heart rate to your heart rate, and not his, because you're different!

Posted by: TLD | 2009-08-26

Hi Liza. If you increase your fitness level it will take longer for your heart rate to increase to 182bpm.

Reply to TLD