Posted by: jason | 2009-03-21

heart rate

hi Doc,
I am over-weight and decided 2009 is the year I do something abt it. I have joined a virgin active gym, bought the heart rate moniter, the whole nine yards but for two months have been trylng to get my heart rate up to 60 %, when " fat burning"  is suppose to start. using either the treadmill, bike or elep. trainer why cant I do this?

HI Jason

Not sure, perhaps you just have a naturally low heart rate. Are you talking about 60% of a "maximum"? And how is that maximum measured? Point is, it's difficult to play by numbers when half of them are guess-work. So my advice is that you don't worry about the numbers, but rather just get the distance or time under you.

Once you get fitter, then you'll find that it's easier to lift the heart rate and then this won't be as much of a problem. But don't get trapped into playing by the numbers here - the heart rate monitor is useful if you use it to monitor how your training is going and not worrying about these standards and measures and so forth. Focus on fitness, get fitter and you'll see progress on all fronts.

Posted by: jason | 2009-03-25

thanks guys
esp u Mmmmmmm
2 min later i should be dead, then i will haunt u
Boooooooooooooo BooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOO

Reply to jason
Posted by: Mmmmmm | 2009-03-25

Set the cycle on any program you like.
Set the resistance on 10, Sprint.
2 mins later you should be half dead.

Reply to Mmmmmm
Posted by: david | 2009-03-23

hello jason and doc
is your max heart rate, 225 less your age ?
i think i heard the same story at the gym
hope it helps

Reply to david