Posted by: Crunchie | 2009-02-20

Heart rate

I currently work out/do sports on average 3 to 5 times a week. I am an averge squash player and have recently joined a squash league. I have noticed that i get exceptionally high heart rate readings during a squash match. I am 186cm and slightly overweight at 98kgs and have heart rate readings of 170 avg and 194 max!! I usually feel fine and recover quite quickly to about 100 bpm after the game. Is this normal for a person who is generally fit and above average active or should i get it checked?

I wouldn't worry about that. It's not that unusual to have an average of 170. It's high, sure, but that is largely a genetic thing, and the fact that you recover quickly suggests that this is normal. There are some people who would struggle to ever get their heart rate that high, others for whom it is very easy. It sounds as though you are one of those. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. Rather compare your heart rate to your own heart rate over time - that's the better comparison.