Posted by: Matlakala | 2013-02-14

heart problem

Diagnosed with heart beating fast, should i be worried

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Matlakala

Thanks for your question. If your heart is beating fast, then the important questions are how fast, and why it is beating so fast. Most often if your heart is beating fast it is because your body is instructing it to do so, for example if you are anxious or exercising or have a fever.
Your doctor should be able to find out why your heart is beating fast and whether it is necessary to do anything about it. Usually it is a very benign condition which does not require treatment.

Best wishes. JT

On sunday i had an attack of some sort. Doctor says its just stress, i dont like to over-react but i believe it may be more than just stress. I was at rest when i began to feel light-headed, dizzy, a little unfocussed. My pulse had dropped to around 40. I remained calm, controlled by breathing and did not hyperventilate. Symptoms got worse, cold sweats, hands and feet cold, numb and tingly. I became quite unstable on my feet. My face went tingly, my hands pulled tight, the thumbs were worst) into a half fist and i could not open them. My chest felt extremely pressured and my speech became slurred. Afer a few days in hospital, doc says my heart and lungs are perfect, blood showed nothing untoward. His diagnosis is stress. An ecg this morning showed bradicardia, probably MI (inferior), atrial fibrillation, minor left axis deviation, T-wave near baseline (inferior). Is he correct or should i get a second opinion?