Posted by: Wendy | 2011-08-23

Heart pounding

I had a tonsillectomy 3 months ago, I had general anaesthetic. In the recovery room, when I woke up, I had terrible heartbeat, I could actually see &  feel my heart pounding, like it wanted to jump out of my chest.

Even the nurse asked me whether I am fine, and told the anaesthetist, he never came, just told her to give me some sort of injection.

After that I was fine, but a week later, my heart was pounding again, this time not so rapidly. Lately, I also experience heart palpitations when I get excited or stressed and even sometimes when I maybe walk fast or climb stairs.

I am actually worried about this. Is it because of the general anaesthetic that I have this problem, or and am I the only one who’ s had this experience?

Kind Regards

The drugs given during anaesthesia should be out of your system by now and I therefore, doubt that it is related to this. I do however, suggest that you consult your doctor for an ECG to have a look at your heart's electrical activity.