Question
Posted by: Tam | 2009-06-30

heart palpitations of 202 bpm

A few hours ago I was changing and my heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest. I sat down and put my heart rate monitor on and it was 200 bpm and only after 10mins went back down. i get these often, probably every day and but this was the worst one. i am only 25 yrs old, female. Could there be something wrong with my heart? Should i see my GP or a cardiologist directly?
Thank you!

Dear Tam
See your GP for a basic ECG and examination - if needed he can organize for a 24 hour holter ECG or a referral to a cardiologist. It will be cheaper if your GP does the basic tests first.