Question
Posted by: Leanne | 2011-10-11

Heart palpitations and chest pain

Hi Doc, I every now and then have what feels like a palpitation of my heart, i was lying in bed and i can feel my heart beat two or three beats really hard and fast then it pumps normal, then happens again. It feels like the blood is being forced through my heart, almost like when you sleep on your arm and when you get up the blood rushes through the veins. I then woke up at 3:30 with the car alarm going off, and when I got back into bed it happened again, and this morning I had a sharp pain in my chest near my heart. Is this anxiety or could there be a problem with my heart?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Sounds like anxiety Leanne. You don't mention your age, but I would guess from your e mail you are under 40. I very much doubt from your description that there is any problem with your heart.

The palpitations sound very benign and the sharp pain "near your heart" does not sound like heart pain at all. If in doubt see your doctor but my impression is that you do not have a heart problem, and that your symptoms are likely to be related to anxiety.

JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011-10-24

JT

Reply to Cardiologist